The Gang That Can’t Shoot Straight

It’s too early to write the history of the Obama administration. But, at this point, it looks like, for the most part, that history may be summed up in three words: coulda, woulda, shoulda. I “coulda” signed an immigration bill, but Congress was too busy shutting down the government. I “woulda” closed the gun show loophole, but the NRA wouldn’t let me. “I “shoulda” done something about climate change, but I just ran out of time.

The one, big exception is the Affordable Care Act. That is the one concrete thing President Obama has accomplished. As Joe Biden would say, that’s a “BFD,” which is why the breakdown of the Obamacare website is so inexcusable. It will be fixed, but it never should have collapsed in the first place.

Launched on October 1, the same day Congress shut down the federal government, problems with the website designed for people to sign up for one of 36 state health exchanges popped up immediately. Customers had to be cleared before they could shop (just the opposite of most commercial websites). The website shut down in the middle of many searches, dropping all stored data, and forcing customers to start over from scratch. Rates were often misquoted, and inaccurate information relayed to insurance providers.

And what was the response of the Obama administration? One pitiful excuse after another. First, they declared that the problem was simply too much traffic. They didn’t expect so many people to check it out, they lamented, so they couldn’t handle the volume, which made no sense at all. How can you preach for years that millions of Americans are eager to buy health insurance — and then say you’re surprised when millions of Americans are, indeed, eager to buy health insurance?

At the same time, the White House minimized problems with the site as the kind of “glitches” every new site experiences, but which would quickly work themselves out. Except that experts soon confirmed that difficulties navigating the site stemmed from serious system failures, and not mere glitches.

Then HHS Secretary Kathleen Sibelius told CNN that part of the problem was that so many people going to the website were not “tech savvy.” Which may be true, but which is also why the site should have been designed as fool-proof and easy to use. Not to mention that countless “tech savvy” people reported they couldn’t find their way around the website, either.

Finally, 21 days after launch, President Obama admitted the problems were serious, expressed his anger and frustrations with the website failures and announced he was bringing in a team of the best and brightest, the so-called “tech surge,” to straighten out the mess. Good move. But, one must wonder, why the best and brightest weren’t hired to design the system from the start, instead of CGI, a Canadian firm, who, according to USASpending.gov, were paid upward of $634 million — for nothing. HHS would have been better off subcontracting the whole operation out to Amazon or ProFlowers. They know how to handle traffic. They thrive on it.

It’s not all bad news. Where the federal government has floundered, state governments have soared. On my show, I’ve heard nothing but success stories from those 14 states — California, New York, Washington State, Maryland, Connecticut and others — where governors have embraced Obamacare and set up their own websites. Under Democratic Governor Steve Beshear, Kentucky leads the pack, signing up an average of 1,000 new health care patients a day. Ironically, it’s only in those states where Republican governors have rejected Obamacare that the administration has run into trouble.

Nevertheless, opponents of the Affordable Care Act are enjoying this meltdown a little too much. They love the fact that the launch is having so many problems. It just reinforces their stale old argument that the ACA should be delayed or dumped altogether. But they’re only kidding themselves. Obamacare is here to stay. It’s already helped millions of Americans. Problems with the website, which is only one part of Obamacare, will soon be fixed. By January, as many as 30 million more Americans will be able to sign up for the health care they need for themselves and their families, at bargain rates never before available.

In the meantime, this isn’t rocket science. The Obama administration should stop making lame excuses, admit they dropped the ball big time, and just get busy and fix the darned thing. Fast!

1736 Responses to The Gang That Can’t Shoot Straight

1. emile says:

Even warren and billy know you never pay off anything. Except debt.

2. Jeffg says:

‘Or how about every million they make they get a $ one million dollar bill. The rest needs to stay in circulation. The country needs the money to circulate . It does no good being stacked up in hoarders warehouses.’
    Moron, it’s not stacked up in some warehouse. In fact it’s in circulation as you desire. Buffet doesn’t make money by sitting on it, he makes it by spending it. Buying investments in particular which requires him to exchange his money for something. Therefore your entire argument is moot.

‘Where’s the work that goes with that?? Where’s the jobs? ‘. The DOW and the job market are not connected in case you haven’t figured that out. It’s an international market meaning money and jobs are free to go where it’s best used and most needed. The jobs are leaving because people like want to take other people money, namely a business’ money. What you don’t understand is that it is the policies you support that are making the US uncompetitive. Our corporate tax rate is 14% higher than OECD average. (39% vs 25%). That’s where the jobs are. You want to blame someone? Look in the mirror.

‘The money being made on wall st happens at warp speed. Like 70.000 trades per second. ‘. Actually it’s at it’s lowest volume in years. But who cares? That number means nothing. How man of those are mutual funds? How many of those are for pension plans? How many of those are people like me moving their investments around? It’s a relatively meaningless number. I’m sure what you were attempting to get at was the HFT issue but you didn’t even come close to addressing that.

‘Even starving people are refusing GMO s and vaccines. ‘. Because of people like you who don’t believe in science spreading propaganda.

‘You skipped right over the ***what’s stopping you right now from being a better man? Like warren or billy.??** any ideas??’ When did I say they were better? But I’ll answer your question, what’s stopping me is the same thing that’s stopping you, myself. I’m not nearly as driven as they are. But anyone who is can do exactly what they have done, there’s nothing stopping them, except for excess regulations and taxes.

See missy. I answered your question. Yet you’ve skipped over so many of mine. You said ‘Once you learn to separate and prioritize your ” wants” against your ” needs” you’ll find that you’re free to do as you’re told.’ So tell me, how should I prioritize my wants and needs and what am I not free to do and what am I free to do as I’m told? I know you think it makes you sound intelligent to say stuff like that bit it doesn’t. You look even dumber when you can’t explain it. So I’m giving you a chance to explain it. Will you answer or will you skip right over it?
    You were concerned about some CIA building that was secretly funded. Yet when asked you could never identify it, in fact you skipped right over it. I’m asking again. Will you skip again?
    What have you produced? You skipped right over that one.
    What have you done for your country today? Skipped again.
    What have you done for me? Yet another skip.

My bet? you’ll skip yet again. It’s because you don’t know what you’re talking about.

3. Jeffg says:

‘Oh , wait , I remember, billy says none of your fellow Americans are capable of doing the jobs he has open. So, he needs to import software engineers in (h1b1) from around the world. That and they accept lower wages. ‘

Two problems with your analysis. First there aren’t enough US engineers to fill all the jobs. That’s why it’s good to be an engineer right now.
    Secondly, they don’t get lower wages nor would they accept them. There are laws against that. They come in at the same wage as anyone else with equal experience. Again I challenge you to prove otherwise. I bet you’ll skip right over that too. Won’t you?

4. Jeffg says:

By the way, not only was gates arguing for that, but so are a lot of democrats, like Obama, pelosi, Reid, Warren and sanders.
    Still think it’s an issue?

5. emile says:

You’re like a little plant , the more bullshit they feed you, the more you grow.
    By protecting and defending warren and billy, you concede they are better men. Why would you do that? Give away your life to a better man.
    Here you breathe my oxygen , I have no use for it.

Why have GMO makers spent billions on making sure the truth about GMO s is suppressed? Not listing it on labels? This is what causes your conspiracy problems. What’s the big secret?? Sssh! Do them they’re eating GMO s . That will prolly rot out their stomachs as it has in pigs.
    Go ahead , you can eat all you want. Just remember even starving people won’t eat that crap.
    What’s the big secret? Country after foreign country have refused shipments of GMO grains. China burns it every time it receives it. Europe won’t touch it.
    Where is the conspiracy?? Is it me creating it? I don’t think so.
    Bill gates thinks its great idea to feed this crap to starving people. Why?? So they can live longer happier , more fruitful and valuable lives?? Yeah, right!
    Go ahead, eat all you can.

6. emile says:

***First there aren’t enough US engineers to fill all the jobs. ***
    No, not for the prices they want to pay.
    Is billy going to hire MIT grads. Or do they want too much money?

7. Jeffg says:

“***So tell me, how should I prioritize my wants and needs**** first make a list, one column for wants, next column for needs. Start filling them in. Voila! Be honest.”
    Skipping right over it again? No no little girl. Make the list for me. You took ownership when you implies I didn’t know how to. So what are my wants and needs? What am I not free to do? Can’t answer can you?

8. Jeffg says:

‘Is billy going to hire MIT grads. Or do they want too much money?’ Yes. Microsoft has many. Do they cost more? No. I work with a bunch of MIT grads. They’re on the same pay scale as a Penn st grad, U of Texas grad, UCLA Grad, U of Alabama grad etc. Where you got your degree might make you more desirable for a job but you don’t get more because of it.
    Do they want to much? They can want what they want but that has nothing to with what they are offered.

9. Jeffg says:

GMO conspiracy? Did I say conspiracy? Nope. I said you don’t believe in science but do believe in propaganda.

Here’s the science. Refute if y can

nytimes.com/2014/01/05/us/on-hawaii-a-lonely-quest-for-facts-about-gmos.html

sciencemag.org/content/341/6152/1320.full

China burning crops? Can only find that on your boyfriends Alex’s site and ones just as crazy as his. Now it could very well be true as a similar event happened in the Philippines. But those people ignored the science and believed the propaganda, much like you.

Of course you realize we’ve been eating GMOs for at least 4000 years? The Aztecs had to modify maize before we could eat it as corn. Do you think a dairy cow is the same now as it was 200 years ago?

Essentially your position is causing millions to die. You are what you accuse bill gates of being.

10. Jeffg says:

Wouldn’t this be part of controlling the mass media? Looks like you voted for a fascist!

nytimes.com/2014/08/17/opinion/sunday/maureen-dowd-wheres-the-justice-at-justice.html?_r=1

““It’s hypocritical,” Risen said. “A lot of people still think this is some kind of game or signal or spin. They don’t want to believe that Obama wants to crack down on the press and whistle-blowers. But he does. He’s the greatest enemy to press freedom in a generation.”

Risen points to recent stories about the administration pressing an unprecedented initiative known as the Insider Threat Program, which McClatchy described as “a government-wide crackdown on security threats that requires federal employees to keep closer tabs on their co-workers and exhorts managers to punish those who fail to report their suspicions.””

11. emile says:

Why do you keep trying to Gand me obamas head on a platter?? I already agreed that he’s complicit. Otherwise he wouldn’t be there.
    Is the commander of the most powerful military in the free world, A free man?? Or is he also told what to do??

12. emile says:

**”Journalists are the guardians of democracy in a free society, and thus they perform a sacred role.”***
    I can’t figure out why you of all people would upset by this.
    When will we be suspending this activity??
    Is there really a boogieman out there??

13. emile says:

***not only was gates arguing for that, but so are a lot of democrats, like Obama, pelosi, Reid, Warren and sanders.**
    Were they arguing for more engineers?? Or more immigrants???
    Much of the overlooked plan was to bring them in teach them to be Microsoft engineers and then send them back to Pakistan , along with the American jobs.

14. emile says:

I didn’t realize the Aztecs were so far advanced. Stone temples, with state of the art labs.
    The difference today is that the GMO manufacturers want to put patents on whatever they discover. Do you think the Aztecs put their own DNA in the process?
    We have plants, crops,and vaccines with human DNA.

Insider Threat Program,- this is because every time we turn around we catch a spy for Israel. And apparently, there are many.

15. Jeffg says:

You voted for Obama. You were proud of it. You got what you wanted

‘I can’t figure out why you of all people would upset by this.
    This all goes back to the patriot act. And the modifications thereof. It’s all to diminish your rights in favor of safety from the boogieman. The Koch brothers have been working on this for a long time now. Along with several other entities.’
    I never supported the patriot act, neither did the Koch brothers.

‘Much of the overlooked plan was to bring them in teach them to be Microsoft engineers and then send them back to Pakistan ,’. You don’t need to change immigration policy for that moron. Therefore your argument nul and void.

You do t need a lab to genetically modify food. What’s wrong with getting a patent? While the Aztecs didn’t have patents they didn’t share their crop with others and killed anyone who tried to take. I prefer patents. It’s a more peaceful way of protecting your ideas.

‘We have plants, crops,and vaccines with human DNA.’
    Ok. Now tell me why that is bad. Not in missy babble but using a scientific argument to support your position.
    ‘Tobacco plants that glow in the dark. Is this for making the smokers glow in the dark?’ It’s an ornamental variety that isn’t smoke able. So what’s the problem. I wonder what your argument would have been against the light bulb or even the wheel?

Skipping away from telling me what my wants are needs are? Can’t tell me what I’m not free to do? It’s easy making statements but not so easy trying to explain them is it?

16. Jeffg says:

Weren’t you worried about beheadings? Looks its your friends you need to worried about

17. emile says:

Not my friends.

According to B.F. Skinner. (Renouned psychologist)
    You are free to achieve anything you want to do. However, you must stay in YOUR CIRCLE of freedom and dignity.

Beyond freedom and dignity
    By B.F. Skinner

18. emile says:

Looks like today, you and all your media pals are doing exactly what the terrorists want…..more publicity.
    Rupert tripping over himself to get the acts of terrorism on the front pages of his rags. Free publicity for terrorists. Are you pissed yet?
    That’s the whole point, right?
    A despicable act becomes front page news.
    Why are you and your pals giving aid to the enemy?? Free terrorism. Publicity.

Thinking back, bush 43 didn’t want pics of the dead American soldiers coming home from Iraq anywhere in the news.

19. emile says:

What? Me worried.
    I don’t worry.
    It’s counterproductive and accomplishes……nothing.
    Nothing on this planet has ever been fixed or solved by worrying about it.
    I don’t worry.

20. emile says:

DNA , for what??
    I don’t know why. Or why not.
    But somebody does.

21. emile says:

Are there any terrorists on the planet that were not trained by the CIA??
    We trained al Qaeda to work against the Russians, now they’ve morphed into ISIS or ISIL or whatever bullshit you want to call it.

22. emile says:

And…
    Here’s your list ;
    Wants;
    A box of chocolates
    And a
    Long stem rose

Needs;
    Gas to get to Walmart
    Your Huey Lewis and the News CD

23. Jeffg says:

‘According to B.F. Skinner. (Renouned psychologist)
    Therefore, you won’t be running with the big dogs anytime soon. They are out of your circle. And you don’t actually belong in that circle.’

You’re a assuming I want to run with the big dogs. The big dogs work 14,15,16 hours a day. Not what I want. I know some big dogs, I’ve been asked to be one. Don’t want to. But unlike you I realize that’s a personal choice and I’m not jealous of those who do want and pursue that. You? You’re jealous because you’re incapable of being one of them and want to bring them down.

Your choice of skinner interesting. Aside from the fact that he has been condemned as a proponent of totalitarianism(no real surprise to find you supporting that is there ) do you realize that using him to support your argument actually counters your original argument? Skinner thought individuality was bad for society as was freedom. See, according to skinner nobody, not even the kochs, are responsible for their actions. The human was to skinner as the dog was to Pavlov, skinner was trying to figure out what our bells were.

‘Let’s say you get your flu shot. Next day your hair falls out and teeth start filling in where your hair was. DNA , for what??’ Gee, I got a flu shot. Still have my teeth and hair. So do the hundreds of other people I know who got one. when has this happened? Do know anyone who this has happened to or did you just read about on an ‘independent journalist’ site?

So in the end you can’t tell me what my wants or needs are despite your claim I needed to get them prioritized? you can’t tell me what it is I’m not free to do. You skipped right over it by trying once again to use someone else’s words but yet again you didn’t understand those words.
    Perhaps it’s you missy who needs to sort your wants and needs. Do you really need to run with the big dogs or do you just want to? Maybe if you realized you didn’t need to you would stop being so jealous of them. Maybe you need to stop relying on your so called independent journalist for your thoughts? then you would be free to think for yourself. Maybe you should quit doing what the union tells you to do, then you would be free to pursue a better job.

“I don’t know why. Or why not.” That explains your life missy. You know nothing nor are you capable knowing. All you’re capable of is reacting. It turns out you are the perfect dog for skinner. No wonder you like him.

24. emile says:

****”The big dogs work 14,15,16 hours a day.***

if what you say is true, then, whats the point? The more money you make, the LESS you work. its how things work.
    Personally, I would be able to be reached on my yacht.
    out sailing around with the waltons.

25. emile says:

***You’re a assuming I want to run with the big dogs**
    i dont assume anything. and i couldnt care less. but i do see your infatuation with them.that they be protected at all costs. being, the JOB CREATORS and all.
    employment is going up and unemployment is going down…..in spite of them.

26. emile says:

My question was whose DNA and for what??
    You just gonna swallow it ?? No questions asked??
    Will this DNA once inside your body , begin growing things in odd places?? Why all the secrets?
    Everything you need to know about vaccines is on the labels. Go ahead, read them and get your shot. You don’t comprehend things very well anyways.

27. Jeffg says:

I would not consider drinking coffee and throwing food at each other all day…work.’ You must be confusing them with a UAW member. Heck, you can’t even define work so what would you know ?
    ‘but i do see your infatuation with them’. It’s not me who always brings them up. I’m merely countering your false argument. I’ll make a deal, you don’t bring them up and neither will I. But if you choose to wrongly blame your woes on them I’ll point out the inconsistencies of your argument.
    ‘My question was whose DNA and for what??’ A dead fetus’. It’s cackled stem cell. Are concerned about whose blood somebody gets on the operating table?
    ‘Will this DNA once inside your body , begin growing things in odd places??’ Seriously? I thought you believed in science. Guess not.
    ‘i dont assume anything.’ You assume everything and know nothing.
    ‘Everything you need to know about vaccines is on the labels. Go ahead, read them and get your shot. ‘. So to distill your anti vaccine argument down you essentially think vaccines are bad. You would be happier if instead of a polio vaccine we still had children being crippled and dying from it. You would prefer that we have smallpox as opposed to trying to eradicating it with a vaccine. How about cancer? Is all the research going into that, much of which uses DNA, an evil thing? Gues that should be stopped also. You would prefer that people die of the flu vice being vaccinated against it. Realize that in an average flu year 6000 people die from the flu, it would be far more than that without the vaccine. In the worst flu vaccine incident 25 people died from the vaccine in 1975. Based on your position you would prefer letting 6000 plus die over a potential 25? Yet you claim bill gates wants to kill people?
    No wonder you were ok with isis slaughtering the azidis.

28. emile says:

why??
    why would billy want tamper with your dna??
    i’m glad you think youre getting the whole story, but, i dont.

29. emile says:

you didnt tell me whose dna?
    was it flawless? superhuman? degenerated. suseptible to infections.what?

30. Jeffg says:

‘did you miss my post where the employees making the vaccines refused to take them?and got fired for not taking it??’
    A false claim so duely ignored

‘why would billy want tamper with your dna??’ He’s not

‘you didnt tell me whose dna?’ Try an aborted fetus or a embryonic stem cell. Whose blood are getting when you get a transfusion? A CEOs or a junkies?

Your 1109 post? Who’s infatuated? You couldn’t even make it half a day could you.
    Why do you think or the govt has any right to money Microsoft earned in another country? The goods were made overseas, sold overseas and taxed overseas. If they enters our shores or were made here they were taxed here. They aren’t avoiding anything. They are choosing to spend their money elsewhere because idiots like you think you have a right to it. Yet you wonder where the jobs are?
    FYI, gates doesn’t make decisions at Microsoft anymore. He’s not even the largest shareholder.

You didn’t answer my questions. Why would you prefer to see a child suffer from polio vs get a vaccine?
    Why do you not believe in science?

And oh so many others. Typical progressive. You expect everyone else to give you answers but when challenged you have none of your own.
    Let me guess, time to change the subject?

31. emile says:

When oh when, tell me, when did $ 92 Billion in profit become………not enough profit???
    Taxes….$ 29 Billion
    Is that about 33%. Just like I pay.??
    So what’s wrong?? I think I have a right to their money. But, if we are not collecting enough to keep the republic running, then guess what…..

Time to step up and take your country back!
    Back from the aholes you keep defending.
    $ 92 Billion in profit is marvelous, but, how can it be ALL profit??? Is gates NOT an AMERICAN success story?? Who provided for him in his younger business years? Who gave him tax breaks for just about everything including lunches?? Who of all people wanted to make sure his business survived??
    Well, brother man, it was you and me. And now that he has finally made it. He slams the fucking door in our faces.
    I don’t think we should have to pay taxes. Waah waah waah!

Yet here you want talk about leeches and freeloaders gaming the system for their own benefit.
    Oblivious….

32. emile says:

Line 4 should read.
    **I don’t think I have right to their money***

33. emile says:

Apple and GE the only two that have more. All combined $ 3 Trillion. Being hoarded offshore.
    In warehouses??

34. emile says:

Speaking of dictating future presidential policies.

Yup, we’re all cheneyites now.
    Who wants to pick the next president of the United States.
    A bush or Clinton??

35. Jeffg says:

Why do you not believe in science?
    Let me guess, time to change the subject?

Just skipping away aren’t you? What’s wrong. Afraid to answer or just can’t?

Oh, you didn’t give Microsoft anything. If anything you should be thankful for all the benefits they’ve provided you. If it weren’t for Microsoft and Apple you wouldn’t be able to spew your bile on the internet. If you think they are so greedy for not supporting your lazy ass put your money where your mouth is and don’t use Windows or OS.